The sixth book in our Kids’ Reading List series is Seed, Soil, Sun: Earth’s Recipe for Food by Chris Peterson. This American Farm Bureau Foundation’s Agriculture Book of the Year celebrates the yearly planting, growth, and harvest of our plant food. The simple ingredients to Earth’s recipe, seeds, soil, and sun, all combine to create much of the food we each and some food for animals. Read on in the book to discover more about the wonder that is Earth’s recipe.
Young readers, from four to seven years old, will enjoy the colorful photographs by photographer David R. Lundquist. They will learn from Peterson how seeds use soil and sun to grow into the fruits and vegetables they enjoy at the dinner table.
Check out the past selections in the reading list.
- Pig 05049 by Christien Meidertsma
- The Beef Princess of Practical County by Michelle Houts
- Who Grew My Soup? by Tom Darbyshire and illustrated by C.F. Payne
- Oh, Say Can You Seed? by Bonnie Worth
- Farmer George Plants a Nation by Peggy Thomas and illustrated by Layne Thomas