Saddle up and hit the trail!
Young readers will find little Levi as curious and eager to prove his independence as they are while searching the ranch with him to find Little Red, Levi’s Lost Calf.
A fifth generation ranch, author Amanda Radke, tells the story of Levi who, after the morning head count, realizes one calf, Little Red, is missing from the herd. Readers are introduced to a variety of barnyard animals as Levi searches the ranch for the calf. Radke uses her past and present, first-hand ranching experience to accurately tell this engaging story. Young readers will not only enjoy the tale, but also the beautiful illustrations by Michelle Weber.
Check out the past selections in the reading list:
- The Super Soybean by Raymond Bial
- Pigs & Pork in the Story of Agriculture by Susan Anderson and JuAnne Buggey
- Fantastic Farm Machines by Cris Peterson with photography by David R. Lundquist
- Little Joe by Sandra Neil Wallace and illustrated by Mark Elliott
- Hungry Planet by Peter Menzel and Faith D’Aluisio
- Seed, Soil, Sun: Earth’s Recipe for Food by Chris Peterson
- Pig 05049 by Christien Meidertsma
- The Beef Princess of Practical County by Michelle Houts
- Who Grew My Soup? by Tom Darbyshire and illustrated by C.F. Payne
- Oh, Say Can You Seed? by Bonnie Worth
- Farmer George Plants a Nation by Peggy Thomas and illustrated by Layne Thomas